Your career starts here
Hotel Management Resume Sample
The following is a sample resume for the hotel management industry. Because hotel management is a service focused industry, the resume has been professionally written to focus on customer service skills as much as it is managerial skills. Keep this in mind when writing your own resume, as you don't want to become too focused on one while neglecting the other, instead remain balanced in your approach when writing and you will be a more well-rounded applicant.
Try to mention any increase in revenue or the number of employees under your management in numerical form whenever possible, as having numbers sprinkled throughout your resume really adds to the overall impact it will have on the reader.
This hotel management resume sample is the perfect reference tool for you when writing your own resume. Utilize it when composing your own resume and if you still have questions afterwards feel free to ask them in the comments below and one of Resume Companion's resume experts will try their best to answer them so you can get back to what's important: finding that new job!
Key Resume Highlights:
The above Hotel Management resume was written in a way that should benefit most Hotel Management job seekers, as the example candidate is mid-career level with only two previous experiences listed. There are a number of strong points in this resume that anyone can emulate to improve their own resumes more. Some of the strong aspects include:
- Including a career objective that highlights the applicants previous 15 years of experience, instantly qualifying them for jobs for entry-level and mid-level candidates.
- The applicant wrote out the acronyms of systems they used so the reader will understand what they mean, for example "QMS" was written out as Quality Management System.
- The applicant included an appropriate amount of bullet points under each respective section, with more emphasis on recent events and less on older educational experiences.
While nearly perfect the above resume could still be fine tuned in a few subtle ways to make it an even more effective resume. In line with following the above points in an effort to strengthen your own resume, be mindful of the areas that could still be improved as listed below:
- Since the last work experience was in 2002 they could reduce some of the bullet points under this experience and include a few more in their most recent experience to freshen up the resume.
- The applicant can attach a customized cover letter that was written especially for the job position being applied to thus making themselves appear a perfect fit and highlighting the best parts of their resume.
- The additional skills listed are great, but a bit vague and generic. Perhaps the applicant could find a more specific example, or an example that can be numerically quantified to better illustrate their additional skills.
HOTEL MANAGEMENT RESUME TEMPLATE
5660 Boston Avenue, Atlanta, GA 33897
Hotel Management Employee with over 15 years of experience in running and expanding hotels to serve newer and ever-changing markets. Possesses a wide international background and stellar educational credentials.
MANOR HOUSE HOTEL Atlanta, GA
Hotel Management September 2002 – Present
- Motivate all hotel staff and provide them with clear guidance and motivation in performing their duties and maximize hotel revenues and profit.
- Identify and exploit potential business opportunities in the local community.
- Liaise with contractors to oversee the construction of extra facilities that will double the hotels occupancy rate and increase the number of conference facilities on offer.
- Formulate 5-year strategic plans to be applied in substantially increasing the hotels market presence within that time period.
- Monitor current hotel operations to identify and address potential problem areas and bottlenecks that may be stifling optimum performance.
GENEVA HOTEL Minneapolis, MN
Assistant Hotel Management August 1997 – July 2002
- Conducted appropriate staff meetings and coordinated with the other department heads to ensure that proper communication and lead to guest satisfaction and maximum profit and productivity.
- Assisted the hotel management in instituting a Quality Management System (QMS) program to improve on hotel staff efficiency.
- Introduced a profit sharing and 401 K remuneration system to better reward and motivate hotel employees to perform beyond even what is required or necessary.
- Coordinated the various sales and marketing activities that were carried out on behalf of the hotel.
NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY Chicago, IL
Master of Science in Hospitality Management, June 1997
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude
- Captain of swimming team
FLORIDA UNIVERSITY Boca Raton, FL
Bachelor of Arts in Communication, June 1995
- Graduated Cum Laude
- Minored in Psychology
*BONUS: Hotel Management Resume!
Here's another example of a hotel manager resume. This one is a little bit different in that it is a hotel general manager, whereas the above sample was more specific, this sample could be applied to someone managing one hotel or a region or even an entire chain of hotels.
A hotel general manager is responsible for managing all aspects of hotel operations. Their duties may include but are not limited to, staff recruitment and training, sustaining guest relations, marketing and finances, housekeeping, public relations, maintenance, kitchen and dining, and so on. Try to summarize these skills throughout your resume, as they won't all fit under the additional skills section.
Also don't forget to include skills such as being a strong leader, motivator communicator and delegator.
This resume example for a hotel general manager can be edited to fit in with the skill sets of anyone seeking to apply for a job as a general manager in the hotel industry. If you have any questions specific to your resume or your job search ask them in the comments below and one of our senior resume consultants will personally answer them!
HOTEL GENERAL MANAGER RESUME TEMPLATE
1336 Polk Avenue, Des Moines, IA 56657
Hotel General Manager with over 13 years of experience in managing large chain as well as five star hotels in varied locales. Possesses an excellent track record as well as an impressive educational background in the field.
CONRAD HOTEL Des Moines, IA
Hotel General Manager May 2005 – Present
- Contribute to the hotel by suggesting new ideas for promotional offers and marketing possibilities.
- Ensure compliance with licensing laws, health and safety and other statutory regulations.
- Monitor the running of various events that are hosted by the hotel such as seminars, parties and conferences to ensure everything is running smoothly.
- Liaise with various departmental managers from food and beverages, maintenance, front desk, and so on to ensure that they run appropriately.
- Supervise the recruitment and hiring of top notch staff to work in the various departments of the hotel.
BELAIR HOTEL Belair, CA
Assistant Hotel General Manager August 1998 – April 2005
- Planned work schedules for various individuals, teams and departments working in the hotel.
- Met and greeted customers especially during special occasions and when the hotel was really busy.
- Assisted the hotel general manager in setting sales and revenue targets and in developing appropriate budgets for the various departments in the hotel.
- Performed training and orientation of new staff after they were hired and monitored their performance closely to ensure compliance with hotel standards.
- Performed various other minor duties upon request or when necessary.
LAMAR UNIVERSITY Dallas, TX
Master of Arts Degree in Business Administration, June 1997
- Graduated Summa Cum Laude
- Edited the school paper
MALONE UNIVERSITY Toledo, OH
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Hotel Management, June 1995
- Graduated Cum Laude
- Team player who can perform under pressure.
- Excellent accounting knowledge.
- Superior negotiation skills.
DOUBLE BONUS: Hotel Director of Sales Resume Example!
HOTEL DIRECTOR OF SALES RESUME TEMPLATE
4435 Reeve Street, Hartford, CT 67650
Hotel Director of Sales with over 10 years of experience increasing hotel revenues and exposing hotel services to wider markets. Possesses a solid industrial and educational background in the field.
BELAIR HOTEL Hartford, CT
Hotel Director of Sales September 2007– Present
- Develop and conduct persuasive Power point sales presentations to prospective clients and promote various hotel programs and facilities.
- Perform quality assurance (QA) requirements analysis for the sales and marketing department of the hotel.
- Calculate group-rate and early- booking discount rates that will be offered and marketed to potential customers.
- Act as an able and suitable representative in several internal and external business meetings and functions.
- Oversee departmental matters as they relate to federal, state, and local employment, affirmative-action and civil rights laws.
THE VENETIAN HOTEL Las Vegas, NV
Assistant Sales Director August 2001 – July 2007
- Communicated clearly in written and verbal form to all the hotels sales and marketing staff to ensure they understood their duties clearly.
- Conducted promotional and advertising campaigns in various college campuses nationally, aiming to attract the spring-break crowd to the hotel.
- Was in charge of producing quarterly sales plans and forecasts for the hotel and for motivating sales staff into meeting those targets.
- Responsible for the booking of advertising slots in the various media available.
BABSON COLLEGE Brookline, MA
Master of Arts Degree in Sales and Marketing, June 2001
- Graduated Cum Laude
- Captain of quiz team
BAKER UNIVERSITY Kansas City, KS
Bachelor of Arts Degree in Marketing, June 2000
- Graduated Cum Laude
- Minor in Psychology
- Team player with excellent customer service.
- Sound accounting and financial knowledge.
- Adept in the use of traditional and social media for marketing.