Resume Writing Guide
Follow our resume writing guide and job search tutorials for helpful tips and tricks on how to get that next interview.
If you need a resume writing guide about your own job or position then see our huge collection of industry specific resume format tips with resume samples. In conjunction with the guides below you will gain a broad overview of what it takes to create a professionally formatted resume for your industry.
It is recommended you read through all sections below before you start to write your resume. If you prefer to use the resume builder, first read the resume builder review and find out if it is the right tool for you. With over 6 million users since 2008 we are confident it will produce a resume you can be proud of.
Remember that a resume is a document that you will have for the rest of your working life so you should learn everything you can to make the resume better. If you have any questions that are not answered throughout this resume writing guide our expert resume consultants are here to help you at any stage of your job search process.
- Creating a reverse chronological resume
- Creating a functional resume
- Student resumes
- Professional resumes
- Tips if you're unemployed
- Creating multiple resume versions
Main sections of a resume
- Learn about all available sections
- Contact information section
- Professional section
- Education section
- Additional Skills section
Additional sections of a resume
- Career objective
- Qualifications summary
- Credentials and licenses
- Publications and presentations
- Awards and honors
- What not to include
- 8 winning cover letter strategies
- Top 7 resume challenges
- 4 stages of every job search
- 10 traits employers want
- External resources
- Free resume templates for Microsoft Word (download inside!)