If you’re looking for a position in customer service, whether it is at a call center or face-to-face, use our free customer service resume sample to help you land an interview ASAP.
Table of Contents:
- Customer Service Resume Sample
- Related Resumes and Cover Letters
- Customer Service Resume – Text Only
- How to Write Your Own
Customer Service Resume Sample
Looking for something else? Check out all of our resume samples here.
Prefer a different template? Try one of our professionally designed templates.
Related Resumes and Cover Letters
There’s more than one way to write a customer service resume. This one is according to chronological format, but you should look at our other formats as well to see how you want to do yours. We also include a cover letter below to help round out your application, as well as a receptionist resume, in case that is closer to what you’re looking for.
Customer Service Resume – Text Only
2498 Rocky Ridge Dr. Roseville, CA 95661
Customer service representative with over six years’ experience in telephone and face-to-face customer service. Experience with sales, troubleshooting, tech support, and customer care. Knowledgeable with major customer service software, handling customer complaints, and maintaining a positive and friendly disposition. Hoping to use my wealth of experience to attain employment in a customer service role.
PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE – Roseville, CA
Customer Service Specialist – October 2013 – Present
- Answer and direct 40+ calls daily, with goals including selling plans, managing customer accounts, responding to service queries, and cancelling accounts
- Trained 5 employees in using Kayako (customer service software), as well as in basic duties and how to conduct calls
- Received a 90% average customer satisfaction rating (to date), winning “Employee of the Month” in July of 2015
- Able to research and manage highly complicated accounts to provide comprehensive service to customers and assist upper management
- Closed sales at almost 60% rating, 10% higher than company average
BARNES AND NOBLE BOOKSTORE – Roseville, CA
Information and Customer Service Specialist – September 2009 – September 2013
- Memorized store organization system, as well as special products and discounts, and directed customers to desired products
- Conducted returns and informed customers of return policy
- Fielded customer complaints and issues, with 90%+ of issues resolved to customer satisfaction
- Maintained friendly and positive attitude at all times, even with unhappy and unruly customers
- Mastered in-house customer service and sales computers, powered by Zendesk
- Awarded “Employee of the Month” in January 2011
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY AT SACRAMENTO – Sacramento, CA
Bachelor’s of Science in Business Administration, June 2009
- GPA 3.4/4.0
- Future Business Leaders of America Scholarship Recipient
- Excellent communication skills with a focus on customer service
- 65WPM Typist
- Software: Zendesk, and Kayako
- Experience with Microsoft Office – Word & Excel
How to Write Your Own
If you’d rather make your own customer service resume from scratch, follow our tips below to make sure yours is just as good as a professionally made resume.
With all resumes it’s critical to pick the right format. We find that the right format is relative to experience. If you have tons of experience in customer service, you may want to use a combination format to highlight both your years of experience and accolades.
If you have between two and five years of experience, we usually consider the chronological format to make the most sense, because it helps establish your customer service credentials.
2. Common Skills
Customer Service Software
Most experienced customer service representatives have worked with customer service software systems, like ZenDesk and Kayako. If you have worked with this kind of technology, be sure to clearly state that you know it and are versed in its use. This means less training time for any company you go to work for, so it’s a huge bonus to a hiring manager.
You’ll need to know how to upsell and mention related products and special offers while you assist customers, and you’ll also have to convince customers just in search of information that the right time to buy is now.
In customer service, your job basically boils down to talking. As such, you need to be good at this, whether it’s over the phone, email, in person, whatever. You’ll also have to be able to stay professional when customers are unruly and unreasonable, which is certain to happen eventually.
Beyond just communication, however, you’ll have to learn to sell your companies products and services. You’ll need to know how to upsell and mention related products and special offers while you assist customers, and you’ll also have to convince customers just in search of information that the right time to buy is now. These are skills that are only gathered through experience, so if you possess them, make sure you mention it on your resume.
There are a bunch of soft skills you should cultivate if you plan on working in customer service. Here are a few to mention in your skills section:
|Strategic thinker||Strong listening skills||Negotiation skills|
|Takes direction||Persuasive||Empathetic and understanding|
3. What to emphasize
Communication skills and experience are your biggest weapons when writing your customer service resume. Make sure you highlight and talk up those skills – forgetting to do so may get your resume tossed in the round file cabinet.
Also, ensure your resume looks clean. Use lines to separate sections. Use bigger and bolder fonts for company and school names. Smaller fonts and bullets for duties and achievements. The biggest thing on the paper should be your name at the top. And stick with a single font, or if you switch, at least be consistent between serif and sans serif fonts. Mixing them can look tacky.
Finally, if something seems off, feel free to disregard our tips. It’s your resume, so it needs to work for you. If something feels better in your particular situation, go with your gut and make the correct choice for your application. Good luck!