Getting a well-constructed cover letter into the hands of a hiring manager is a key part of landing a great job in an IT post. Assembling an effective, well-written cover letter can be a daunting task, but there are thankfully a variety of ways to make this process easier. The following sample was created using our cover letter software.
Table of Contents
1. Information Technology (IT) Cover Letter Sample & Resume (Image)
The following images show an Information Technology (IT) cover letter, and its matching resume from the same applicant. This particular candidate is someone with experience as an IT consultant and support analyst, but can still be used as a template for even a fresh-out-of-college graduate.
Looking for positions outside the realm of IT? We’ve compiled a cover letter example database for you to browse.
2. Information Technology (IT) Cover Letter (Text Format)
341 Company Address
Palo Alto, California, 94301
Dear [Hiring Manager’s Name],
Recently my former colleague was hired by [Target Company] as a member of the IT Department, and said that [Target Company] was looking for additional members to join their team. [Target Company] has a reputation of being an excellent place to work, as well as being a place to challenge people well-versed in IT. I thrive under pressure and embrace new challenges, and think I would make a great addition to the company.
Working in IT requires both technical knowledge and the ability to concisely communicate with people. As an IT Support Analyst for Bain Consultants, I was frequently engaged in software support for our clients, who I promptly and efficiently helped with a diverse array of problems. I also assisted in implementing a new program that streamlined service tickets, further boosting our Resolution Rate by 15%. In my current IT Consultant role, I’ve successfully headed numerous projects with budgets exceeding $2 million, while simultaneously providing topflight tech support and infrastructure maintenance.
[Target Company] aspires to boost efficiency in their IT department. I have a track record of doing so, and would be ecstatic to add my experience to the team. Regardless of my role on [Target Company]’s IT staff, I am excited at the opportunity to get on board and help achieve any short-term and long-term goals.
I would love the opportunity to come in for an interview and further discuss how I can immediately contribute to the company. Please contact me at [PHONE] or via email at [EMAIL] so we can arrange a suitable time to meet. Thank you for your consideration, I look forward to hearing back from you.
3. 4 Tips for Writing Your Information Technology (IT) Cover Letter
1. Avoid jargon overload. Your resume is the ideal place to outline your specific accomplishments and relevant competencies. Instead, use your cover letter to show how these skills could be applied at your new company. Even if your computer skills are outstanding, don’t forget that people skills are also critically important.
Even if your computer skills are outstanding, don’t forget that people skills are also critically important.
2. Let numbers tell the story. If possible, use concrete statistics to reveal how you improved an area of tech support or increased overall efficiency while working at your previous job. Many hiring managers are looking at these numbers to assess your potential value to the company, so be sure to include them.
3. Examples are a valuable ally. Instead of describing yourself as a “problem solver”, illustrate your problem-solving capabilities with a concise case where you faced a challenge and handled it effectively.
4. Highlight your “team player” attitude. Working in IT requires technical savvy, but it also entails working closely with people who have a very rudimentary understanding of the technology they use every day. Even if your computer skills are outstanding, don’t forget that people skills are also critically important.